The Karaganda regional research library, named after N.V.Gogol (Erubaeva,44) was established in 1934 and was originally started like a city one. In 1938, the library was elevated to regional status. At it’s inception, the library had 20,000 copies of text. Over the course of one year, the library served 2000 readers and had 30,000 copies in circulation.
In 1947, the Library changed locations to the ground floor of a house on Lenin Street. By 1952 the library collection had acquired nearly 60,000 copies of text, including a wide range of scientific literature. Attracting known scientists of this time, many of these patrons were indispensable participants of library actions. These people included: Zh.Bekturov, D.A.Shajmuhanov, A.N.Ten. J.E.Lamm, E.Ibragim and others. Also, well known scientist A.L.Chizhevsky was a patron of the library.
As the library’s collection grew to over 400 thousand copies of text, it became physically impossible to remain at the location on Lenin Street. With the help of local authorities, the library moved to Kirov Street, 44 in January of 1969. This event coincided with the introduction of networking with the regional libraries of Kazakhstan. Also, according to the new Regional Charter, the library became a scientific library of universal standards. With this, the library carried out the initiatives of the methodical centre for area libraries and provided the literature of regional studies and foreign languages. Library courses were also developed towards improving professional skills for area librarians and, also, year long courses on library goals.
Today, the library offers patrons 12 departments: The Lending Department, The Reading Room, Bibliographic Department, Department of the Study of Local Lore, Department of International Books, Acquisition and Processing Department, Department of New Technologies, Automation Department, Department of The Development of Libraries, Periodical Press Sector, and the Internet Sector. Also, the French Embassy and the United States Embassy in the Republic of Kazakhstan both opened support for foreign language study at the library, helping to develop the French Reading Room and the American Information and Resource Center.
Annually the library serves nearly 25 thousand users, storing 400,000 editions on a variety of information including: 50,000 editions in the Kazakh language and 15,000 thousand editions in a foreign language. It consists of dissertations, periodicals, records, audio/video data, and etc. Annual Subscription has more than 500 titles of printed and electronic periodicals.
At the library, rare and valuable books are greatly appreciated, housing editions such as: "The Asian Russia" (1914), "Introduction in Geography" (1790), and John Milton’s "Lost and Returned Paradise" with the illustrations of the great French artist of G. Dore (1895). Complete sets of annual newspapers are also stored, such as: "The National Economy of Kazakhstan" from 1928, "the Bolshevik of Kazakhstan" from 1933, and "Socialist Karaganda" from 1939.
In addition to traditional forms of information and literature, the library offers new and developing technologies: including electronic databases, electronic catalogues, electronic document delivery and access to the Internet.
Also available are catalogues, access to electronic documents, the electronic databases "Jurist" and "Law", CD-ROM editions of "Britannica", "The Musical Heritage of Kazakhstan", "Atameken"(Mother Country), as well as the overall collection totaling 550 editions including computer textbooks on history, ecology, jurisprudence of Kazakhstan, an encyclopedia, "Cyril and Мephodea’s Mega encyclopedia" The library houses 61 computers which are connected to a local network, with internet access ( by ADSL technology) operating on a speed of 512 kbit/sec. There are 8 workplaces available at Internet class. The library supports 5 websites and creates its own electronic database. Such as" Karaganda people, events, the facts." This database is composed of read-only information on. Since 2005, the library has worked to create the electronic library "Sary-Arca", which any use user may access through the internet and library website. Through the Regional Program, "Cultural Heritage" (2004-2009), the Library Laboratory is facilitating documentary heritage through cataloguing and preservation. To date it has digitized more than 1000 documents.
To celebrate the 70th anniversary of the Karaganda area, the new project "Chronikal Karaganda". The Center of Legal Information operates within the library since 2006. Also, for population services, the Kazakhstan legal database is now available, including a digital library running under the Commission of Human Rights.
In accordance with issues outlined in the Strategy for Improvement, "Kazakhstan 2030" and the government initiative for the development of education between 2004-2010, the library has developed educational programs; annually, there are 25 training and information seminars for teachers and pupils of all institution levels. In 2006, the library took part in a program for professional and education exchange that was administered by the American Council for International Education (ACTR/ACCELS). The American Council On Scientific Research and Exchange (IRЕХ) and The Department of Culture of the USA Embassy in Kazakhstan are also a part of these developments. The library also participates in various corporate projects, such as the "Information Consortium of Libraries of Kazakhstan" at the National Library of the Republic of Kazakhstan, along with The Kazakhstan Center of Corporate Cataloguing (KCCC).In 2006, the library received a certificate for participation in creating public centers of legal information under the aegis of UNESCO.
In the past few years, multiple achievements can be credited to the library’s success. In 2002, the first Forum of Rural Librarians was accomplished; in 2003, the participation in the regional Competition "The Encyclopedia of my Village"has sat down"; in 2004, the congressional campaign in support of reading; in the 2005-2006, the campaign for the "Summer of the Internet/Information for All"; and, also, in 2006, the "Republican Seminar on Problems of Automation of Libraries".
Around 20 methodikal-bibliographic grants are annually published. Also, regional seminars are held for the School of Employment on Professional Skills, as well as regional courses to promote the increase of librarians.
Professional communications are also developing. Staff members of the library were participants of all republican conferences: "Library Capital Kazakhstan"; international conferences and seminars: General Conferences IFLA Beijing (1996), Berlin (2003), Seoul (2006); International Crimean Conference (1998, 2005, 2006); the International conference "LIBCOM-2005"; the international seminar "Electronic Libraries" (Turkey, 2004, Tunis, 2007); and the International Issyk-Kulsky Conference (2003, 2007). Also, within the limits of cultural programs, they have visited the largest libraries of the USA, (2000, 2006), Germany (2003, 2004) and France (2003, 2004, 2005).
To honor the contributions of the library to business in the Karaganda area, the director, Z.K.Shajmuhanbetova was awarded the medal "Eren Enbek Ushin" in 2006 and a breastplate from the Ministry of Culture. Other notable commendations awarded to library staff: the information and public consent of the Republic of Kazakhstan, "Honored person of culture" (2000г.) to S. Bajmurzina, the manager of the department of the international text, awarded by the medal "Eren enbek ushin"; the manager of the Department of the Development of Libraries, F.H. Timershina was awarded by Head of the Karaganda Region Area in 2000, and was given a breastplate from the Ministry of Culture; in 2007, Kairat Rakhim, the senior advisor for the introduction of new information technologies was awarded the "the Best Librarian".
Copyright © 1999–2010, Karaganda Regional Universal Research Library named after N.V.Gogol